Florida Blockchain Task Force
In accordance with Chapter 2019-140, Laws of Florida, the Florida Blockchain Task Force is established within the Florida Department of Financial Services to explore and develop a master plan for fostering the expansion of the blockchain industry in the state, to recommend policies and state investments to help make this state a leader in blockchain technology, and to issue a report to the Governor and the Legislature. The task force shall study if and how state, county, and municipal governments can benefit from a transition to a blockchain-based system for recordkeeping, data security, financial transactions, and service delivery and identify ways to improve government interaction with businesses and the public.
The master plan shall:
- Identify the economic growth and development opportunities presented by blockchain technology.
- Assess the existing blockchain industry in the state.
- Identify innovative and successful blockchain applications currently used by industry and other governments to determine viability for state applications.
- Review workforce needs and academic programs required to build blockchain technology expertise across all relevant industries.
- Make recommendations to the Governor and the Legislature that will promote innovation and economic growth by reducing barriers to and expedite the expansion of the state’s blockchain industry.
The task force shall submit a report to the Governor, the President of the Senate, and the Speaker of the House of Representatives and present its findings to the appropriate legislative committees in each house of the Legislature within 180 days after the initial meeting of the task force. The report must include:
- A general description of the costs and benefits of state and local government agencies using blockchain technology.
- Recommendations concerning the feasibility of implementing blockchain technology in the state and the best approach to finance the cost of implementation.
- Recommendations for specific implementations to be developed by relevant state agencies.
- Any draft legislation the task force deems appropriate to implement such blockchain technologies.
- Identification of one pilot project that may be implemented in the state.
- Any other information deemed relevant by the task force.
Task Force Resources
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Boca Raton, Fl.
Pompano Beach, Fl.
City of Miami
For information regarding this task force, please contact Blockchain@MyFloridaCFO.gov.