Before we play the game, let’s go over needs and wants one more time.
A need is something you or your family must have in order to live safe, healthy lives. You need clothes, food, shelter, medicine and transportation.
A want is something that you or your family enjoys. You can wait to buy the things you want, because you do not need them to survive.
Let's think about some of these situations. Are they wants, or needs? Pick the best answer.
- You bought tickets to see your favorite band. Is this a want or need?
- You buy a bus pass so that you can get to work in the morning. Is this a want or need?
- You go to the store and buy fruit, milk and bread. Is this a want or need?
- You and your friends go out to dinner and then you see a movie. Is this a want or need?
- You go to the doctor to get an x-ray because you fell and hurt your arm. Is this a want or need?
- You bought a new TV at the store; it’s bigger than your old TV. Is this a want or need?
When you are going to buy something, it is important to ask yourself, “Is this a need or a want?” When you buy things that you want, before you buy things that you want it is easier to save money.
Do you think you know the difference between needs and wants? Drag the items you need into the highlighted box.