Florida Hazardous Material Technician
(Certificate of Competency)
Overview: This is a voluntary advanced training program designed for firefighters having hazardous materials responsibilities.
To receive the Florida Hazardous Material Technician Certificate of Competency, a candidate must successfully:
- Be a certified Florida Firefighter I or II
- Complete Hazmat Operations pre-requisite course
- Complete the 160 hours modified IAFF Technician Program
- Meet the performance competencies of the SERC Training Guidelines and complete the SERC HazMat Technician Task Book
- Submit the "Application for Hazardous Materials Technician Certificate of Competency" on FCDICE online or by mail. Form DFS-K4-2160 PDF
- Pass the state written examination with a minimum score of 70%.
Additional Information for certification:
- Emergency Response Guidebook (ERG)
- Must be familiar with standard MSDS/SDS sheets
- NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards sheets
- IAFF Hazardous Materials Response Technician Materials (Iaff.org)
Applicable towards the following National Accreditation(s):